The e-commerce in Nigeria has seen tremendous growth over the last decade. Internet penetration has risen significantly thanks to increased smartphone adoption, with over 60% of the population now having access to the internet.
This has opened up a vast market of young, tech-savvy consumers who are increasingly shopping online.
The Value of the E-Commerce in Nigeria
The value of the e-commerce in Nigeria is estimated to reach over $75 billion by 2025, indicating huge potential still to be unlocked.
As such, it’s an extremely attractive industry for entrepreneurs and marketers looking to set up online stores. However, competition is rising with both local and international players vying for e-commerce in Nigeria market share.
Effective e-commerce in Nigeria marketing strategies is essential to succeed in this landscape.
This article explores the state of e-commerce in Nigeria and proven marketing tactics online retailers can adopt to attract customers and grow their market share.
The Current State of E-Commerce in Nigeria
E-commerce in Nigeria is still relatively low compared to developed markets, with less than 2% of retail sales happening online.
However, the numbers are growing at an exponential rate year-on-year. Beauty, personal care, fashion and electronics are currently the fastest moving consumer goods online.
Jumia and Konga continue to dominate the market as the biggest general e-commerce stores, focusing mainly on urban locations.
Niche & specialist stores like Supermart, which focuses on groceries, and Payporte for fashion are also making significant inroads.
What’s driving e-commerce growth in Nigeria?
- Improving internet connectivity with affordable data plans & widespread mobile phone usage
- An expanding middle class with higher disposable incomes
- Convenience & comfort of online shopping continues to attract urban consumers
- Higher trust in online purchasing with digital payment options & improving delivery logistics
Crucial E-commerce Marketing Strategies for Online Retailers
- Optimize Your site for Search Engines: The first touchpoint for your potential customers is most likely going to be a Google search.
Ensure your site includes relevant keywords, quality content focused around target searches, and the right metadata to improve search visibility. This increases your chances of showing up when consumers search for related products.
- Focus on Search Engine Marketing: Combining SEO with paid advertising through Search Engine Marketing campaigns can do wonders for driving qualified traffic to your online store.
Target relevant keywords and tailor ads to different stages in the sales funnel to efficiently convert visitors. The Google Display Network also provides excellent opportunities through remarketing banners.
- Build Your Presence on Social Media: Platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter present avenues to building an audience organically. Create engaging and relevant multimedia content centered on products/brand.
Consumers love to engage and buying decisions are increasingly influenced by recommendations on social networks. You can also experiment with paid social advertising.
- Leverage Influencers and Affiliates: Local “influencers” with engaged audiences and bloggers provide a vital channel to increase awareness around your brand.
Similarly, affiliate partnerships with complimentary services/businesses can tap into an existing customer base and new segments. Offer generous commissions and compelling creatives to incentivize promotion.
- Focus on Mobile User Experience: With a majority of traffic coming from smartphones, user experience on mobile devices is a decisive factor.
From design to loading speeds to payment integration, ensure seamless mobile journeys to drive conversions. Offer apps with exclusive promos to further engage customers-on-the-go.
- Provide Excellent Customer Service: A third of customers complain about bad online shopping experiences due to factors like misleading information, delivery issues etc.
Address such pain points through prompt communication and engagement at all stages, especially post-purchase. Also, optimize delivery by working with capable logistics partners.
- Experiment with Targeted Promotions: As the landscape gets competitive, offering promotions like discounts, free shipping and bundle pricing helps entice both new & returning customers.
The key is to make offerings hyper relevant through segmentation. Identify your most loyal segments & what motivates different demographics.
The opportunities for e-commerce growth in Nigeria are immense. Online retailers need to vigorously apply proven digital marketing strategies to succeed in this booming space.
Focus on visibility, customer experience and targeted engagement tailored to local consumers. The demand is surging rapidly.
I hope you found this overview on current e-commerce in Nigeria trends and tips on marketing your online store useful!
Let me know if you need any specifics elaborated or have additional questions.
Subscribe for free and receive in-depth guide to online business, WordPress and more. You can unsubscribe at any time.